Nagano City is the capital of Nagano Prefecture. The most visited attraction is Zenkoji temple and gardens.Its 3th biggest wooden temple in Japan. In 1998, the city hosted the Winter Olympic Games, and some former olympic facilities can still be viewed around town.
In the forested mountains northwest of the city center lies the Togakushi area which attracts tourists with its popular shrines and as the legendary home of the Togakure Ninja School.
If you come to Nagano city should consider to se ZENKO-JI temple
- its national treasure and attraction nr.1 in Nagano prefecture, 1400years old, 3.th biggest wooden Temple in Japan
- just 20min walk or 5mid drive by local bus (100yen) from Nagano Shinkansen station
The Japanese have long been told to visit the ancient Zenkoji Tmeple at least one in their lifetime. Not only it is the heart and soul of the people, it’s a temple of outstanding history and architecture.
In Zenkoji is the Amida triad - the oldest Buddhist image in Japan, brought from Korea along with Buddhism in 522.
is stone paved street a row a souvenir shops heading towards the main hall of Zenko-ji Temple, selling Buddhism related articles and local specialities such as buckwheat noodles and oyaki - vegetable dumplings
Popular with worshippers as the wooden statue is said to heal ailments if the corresponding par of the statue’s body is rubbed. This statue is located inside of Main Temple Zenko-ji.
- Floral Fiesta at Zenko-ji (late April~ earsly May)
- Memorial service fo Yoshimitsu Honda, the founder of Zenkoji (13.July. 11am)
- Traditional event and fireworks (23.Nov)
- Dazzling light performance (early ~ mid. Februarry)